Phil's Rio 400 - Updates!

A place to talk about your tanks, latest fish or share photo's

Phil's Rio 400 - Updates!

Postby Philberto » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:59 pm

Finally have the Rio 400 set up with fish in!

My old tank:

New tank in the same place with the backing I messed up:

My daughter helping me clean the sand (I got 50KG of aquarium silica sand and it took forever to clean):

Yesterday was spent scrubbing and boiling rainbow rocks and pebbles.

It looks pretty bare to me and I don't like the line of rocks across the back but I need something there to hide the obvious joint in the backing (I bought the smaller backing and cut it to fit rather than waiting another week for the right size to come back in stock).

The light unit that came with the tank was broken so I knocked one up out of wood and the components from the old tank just to see what it's like with lights before I come up with a more permanent solution.

Stock at the moment it my 2 Silver Dollars, 3 Spotted Silver Dollars, Pictus Cat, Sailfin Plec, 6 Rosy Tetra and 1 Platty (that was an original inhabitant of the old tank when I got it last year).

I would like to keep a couple of Tiger Oscars (from very small) in there and I might try to grow them in there with everything but the Platty and the Tetras but I am open to suggestions on what to keep in there!

For filtation I will be using the external filter from my old tank (Eheim 2233) and the internal that comes with the Rio 400.

Any suggestions regarding stocking or decorating the tank are very welcome indeed!!
Last edited by Philberto on Sun May 16, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Philberto

Postby Charlie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:36 am

In a tank that size, Discus would look awesome. Failing that, some large Cichlids, Severums etc.
All Hate me cuz I'm Beautiful
Charlie

Postby Danger2002 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Yeh Discus deffinately!!

Is that an Aquaterra back ground?? Ive just put one in a tank Im setting up right now and managed to get some sections to hide the filter box as well. Although it cost me extra!
Dave 8)

4 Malboro Red Discus
2 Blue Turquoise Discus
2 Blue Rams
9 Corydoras
3 Diamond and 6 Rosy Tetras
Danger2002

Postby Philberto » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Ha you would say Discus since my water is about as hard as it gets!

I could probably do Severum/s?

I can't remember what make the background is, I can remember that it cost me £80 for 4 tiles and the silicone and now there are Juwel 600 tiles on ebay for about £15 each. :angry:

I have had a little move around in there when I did my water change today and added some greenery, and the fish seem a lot more confident swimming about with some cover near the top. I'll take a pic when the GF isn't about because she keeps calling me a massive geek lol!

I didn't cover the filter because I'm planning to take it out and replace it with a big external (FX5 or something) the missus doesn't know this yet, I still have to buy the T8 lights and once I have them that will have taken the cost of the whole thing to about £400.
Philberto

Postby Philberto » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:52 am

Latest pic:

That's with the makeshift light I made, I should be getting the T8s on Thursday if they aren't out of stock again.

The Silver Dollars aren't keen on me taking their pictures:

Philberto

Postby Neveraliein » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:36 pm

That looks great !
Neet
Fluval 125L
3 Gold Barb, 5 Tiger Barb
2 Cherry Barb. Plants. Soft, alkaline water

45L tank
7 Cardinal Tetra & some shrimps
Neveraliein

Postby Philberto » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks!

I went to Wharf on Thursday and got some new additions:

2 x Baby Oscars:

So cute at the moment, it's hard to believe they will grow into monsters!
The markings aren't really blue to the naked eye, it's more of a light gray (photography isn't my strong point!).

I went with the intention of getting one or two Oscars but the guy upsold me telling me there would be trouble if I only kept a couple of them together and suggested I get them some tank mates!

2 x Male Jack Dempseys

1 x Blue Acara

Now I have a problem with being over stocked, in the tank at the moment are the
2 Oscars
2 JD's
1 Blue Acara
1 Common Plec
5 Silver Dollars
1 Pictus Catfish
6 Rosy Tetra
1 Platty.

The Tetra and the Platty will have to go before the others get big enough to eat them and I have read you can't keep adult male Jack Dempseys together so I will have to let one go, the Pictus will be a danger to a fully grown Oscar if the Oscar tries to eat it so I could let him go and that would leave me with:

2 x Oscars
1 x JD
1 x Blue Acara
5 x Silver Dollars
1x Common Plec

I know this is still too many fish, I am running the 1000 ltr per hour internal and the 400 ltr per hour Eheim external along with weekley 50% water changes so what realistically will I be able to keep in there?
Philberto

Postby Apistogramma » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:45 am

I thought I recognised those oscars! :lol:
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Philberto » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:56 am

Were they yours?! :D
Philberto

Postby Apistogramma » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:07 pm

No I just saw them there. :D
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby damselfish » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:48 am

phil,
just wanted to say the tank looks great
love your choice of fish
those oscars are sooo gorgeous,
ive just got a hero severum and a gold severum
just love them as i couldnt have discus either same prob
with water!!!
anyway well done looks fab 8)
________
Honda S2000 specifications
Last edited by damselfish on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
damselfish

Postby Philberto » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks damselfish!

I saw some nice Severums while I was at Wharf Aquatics but the guy advised me against keeping them with Oscars (some people have managed to do this) so I went with the JD's and Green Terror/Gold Saum instead.

So far the Gold Saum rules the roost because he is slightly bigger than the others but the Oscars are eating well and will probably be bigger than him in a month or two so there will be many power struggles ahead! I'm just glad I still have the Silver Dollars and Tetra in there because they seem to break up the disputes by clumsily swimming past! :lol:

I'm still worried about the long term stocking and thinking about getting a Fluval FX5 for filtration, the missus wasn't too keen on this idea until I told her I could make a sump out of the old tank and would have to change the stand, and how it would be noisy, she soon came around.
Philberto

Postby markee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Great looking tank, i think the background finishes it off nicely :wink:

Was it a new tank or second hand? (just looking at your set up cost)
markee

Postby Philberto » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks!

I got the tank second hand off ebay for £200! Only problem was the light unit didn't work, I ordered a new one from my LFS a few weeks ago but it still hasn't turned up so I am considering making my own lid and using the lights from my old tank saving myself just under £100. They are currently attached to a plank of wood across the top of the tank, not ideal. :lol:

The backing cost me £80 with the silicone, it would have been £60 if I wanted to wait for the right size tiles (600s) but I could have still been waiting for them now and I was under pressure from the GF to get the old tank out so I went with 4 400 tiles and cut to fit. It looked a mess when the tank was empty and I was close to tears but now it is full and decorations have hid most of the joints I am a bit happier with it. (People have the correct size Juwel tiles on ebay now for about £15 each!)

The sand cost me £30 for 2 x 25KG bags which is ok as it is proper aquarium silica sand.

The rocks cost me just over £20 at the garden center, the 3 big rocks for the arch were separate and I got a huge bag of the rainbow pebbles but i'm only using about a 3rd of what I have.

I made my own condensation trays by cutting up flat plastic light diffusers I got from work, they are bending massively so I need to put something around the edges.

The decorations were moved over from the old tank, tree root £30 from Wharf and long plant £11 at Maidenhead Aquatics.

So far that takes the spending to about £370 but I want to replace the internal filter with a Fluval FX5, partly because I will need the filtration when the fish get bigger and partly because I don't like a huge black box sat in the corner of the aquarium! :lol: I am hoping to pick one up second hand soon, which will mean draining the tank, cutting out the internal, putting more backing on, waiting for it to set and starting up again! (I just hope I can do it with the offcuts with the backing I have!)
Philberto

Postby TheCaptain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:42 pm

The Oscars... it's very important that you give them appropriate names (I have (Orange) Ozzie and (Black) Pearl).

Therefore...

They shall be known as Gertrude and Lance. :D

... or something you choose on your own.

Awww - baby Oscars... and blue acara. Makes me all broody. I want new Oscars!
Richard "TheCaptain" Combes.

Remember: Piracy is a crime. Do not accept copies of The Captain.
TheCaptain

Next

Return to Tank Talk