How much salt to add per gallon for brackish water?

A forum to discuss the more unusual aquarium fish - Arowanas, Eels, Knifefish, Polypterus, Puffers, Rays and more...

How much salt to add per gallon for brackish water?

Postby villandra » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 am

On atleast one of your fish articles - the green puffer something, it says the fish needs brackish water, but it does not tell how to make brackish water.

I know that means add some aquarium salt.

But how much aquarium salt do you add per gallon of water to make "brackish" water? If there is a range of salt content that equals brackish water, please tell me that.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX
tiggernut24@yahoo.com
villandra

Postby Wolfgirl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:30 am

I believe the amount you add depends on the fish you have, because they require different ranges...something like that. I'm not an expert on this, so I'm going to move this to the brackish forum. :)
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby villandra » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Does the term brackish vary from two tablespoons (6 tsps) of water per gallon to 7 tbsp per gallon which is sea water?

The lower level seems pretty salty to me.

I quickly learned there are different levels of salty for different kidns of fish.

I actually wanted to know if one teaspoon of salt per gallon of water qualifies as brackish water.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX
tiggernut24@yahoo.com
villandra

Postby Apistogramma » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Is it a green puffer you want to keep?
Do you already have the fish? If yes what salinity is the water now? If no what salinity is it in at the breeders/pet shop?
You can't just change it quickly from one level to another - the fish must be slowly acclimatised or you will do more harm than good. If the fish is already in brackish water you need to make sure you maintain it at the same level.
You can't just guestimate it either - after a few water changes and some evaporation from the the tank the salinity will start to keep up. You need a hydrometer to test the salinity and make sure it's maintained.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Greenmanbacchus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:21 am

villandra wrote:Does the term brackish vary from two tablespoons (6 tsps) of water per gallon to 7 tbsp per gallon which is sea water?

The lower level seems pretty salty to me.

I quickly learned there are different levels of salty for different kidns of fish.

I actually wanted to know if one teaspoon of salt per gallon of water qualifies as brackish water.

Yours,
Dora Smith
I've just joined up :) [b]I routinely add one teaspoon per gallon to my freshwater fish. Does that qualify as 'brackish' or would it still be considered simply fresh? I would like to know the answer to that myself. Thanks :)
GMB
[/b]
"Be mindful of your thoughts.
Thoughts crystallize into habit and
habit solidifies into circumstance."
Greenmanbacchus

Postby Rockfish » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:02 pm

1 teaspoon per gallon is a very low salt level, and nowhere near 'brackish' levels.

Although brackish can mean any level from slightly saltier than fresh water up to almost full seawater, even 'low end' brackish fish are normally kept in about one-quarter strength seawater.

Seawater is about 35 parts-per-thousand, or in other words the equivalent of 35g of salt in 1 litre of water. If you take about one-quarter of that, say 9g, that's how much you would add to 1 litre. An imperial (UK) gallon is about 4.5 litres, so times that by 4.5 and you have roughly 40g of salt to make one gallon of water low end brackish.

A teaspoon is (very) roughly about 5g, so you would need about 8 teaspoons of salt per gallon for lower end brackish levels. This should be done with marine salt, not general aquarium salt or tonic salts.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Oddballs and Brackish Fish